|About Gambia Tourism Authority
Headquarters: Kotu, The Gambia
About Gambia Tourism Authority
The first written accounts of the West Africa region came from records of Arab traders in the 9th and 10th centuries AD, who established the trans – Saharan trade route for slaves, gold and ivory. The Portuguese took over this trade using maritime routes in the 15th century. At that time, The Gambia was part of the Mali Empire.
Between 1651 and 1661 part of the Gambia was (indirectly) a colony of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The Colanders settled on the kunta Kinteh Island (James Island), which they called St. Andrews Island and was used as a trade base from 1651 until its captivity by the British in 1661.
The 1783 Treaty of Paris gave Great Britain possession of The Gambia, but the French retained a tiny enclave at Albreda on the north bank of the river, which was finally ceded to the United Kingdom in 1857.
- Gambia Tourism Authority Official Web Page – http://www.gta.gm
- Career – https://www.gta.gm
- Contact Link – https://www.visitthegambia.gm/contact-us
GTA Contact Details
PO Box 4085, Kotu, The Gambia, West Africa