The Fellowship awards $2,000 to an author working on a biographical work about an African American figure or figures whose story provides a significant contribution to the understanding of the Black experience.
Frances “Frank” Rollin Fellowship for Biographers worldwide Advertisement
- Position(s): Several
- Applications closing Date: March 1, 2022
- Vacancy Type: Permanent/Temporary.
- Company Name: Biographers International Organization
This fellowship also provides the recipient with a year’s membership in Biographers International Organization (BIO), registration to the annual BIO Conference, and publicity through BIO’s marketing channels.
The Rollin Fellowship aims to remediate the disproportionate scarcity and even suppression of Black lives and voices in the broad catalogue of published biography. This fellowship reflects not only BIO’s commitment to supporting working biographers, but to encouraging diversity in the field.
- A $2,000 is awarded for an exceptional biography-in-progress about an African American subject.
- Open to all biographers anywhere in the world who are writing in English, who are working on a biography of an African American figure (or figures), and who are at any stage in the writing of a book-length biography.
- A publishing contract is not required for eligibility.
- Biography as defined for this prize is a narrative of an individual’s life or the story of a group of lives. Innovative ways of treating a life (or lives) will be considered at the committee’s discretion. Memoirs are not eligible.
How to Apply
Upload the following submission materials in a single document:
- Project description (500 words or fewer): provide a synopsis of the biography and explain how this biographical work fits into the mission of the Rollin Fellowship.
- Statement of need (500 words or fewer): describe where you are in the process of writing and how you and your work would benefit from the Rollin Fellowship; if your work is not yet under contract, please include your plans for publication.
- Author bio (500 words or fewer).
- Excerpt from your manuscript (no more than 20 pages).
Your document should be double-spaced, with 12-point type and standard margins. The document must be a PDF.
For more information, visit Frances “Frank” Rollin Fellowship.