Harvard University President Derek BOK established the Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program in 1979 to address the needs of South Africans denied access to advanced education by the apartheid system.
Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program Advertisement
- Position(s): Several
- Applications closing Date: April 30, 2022
- Vacancy Type: Permanent/Temporary.
- Company Name: Harvard University
The creation of this program was a direct response to the strong movement by Harvard students and faculty during the divestment campaigns of the 1970s. The Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program continues to serve as an intellectual resource for talented South Africans, with the goal of providing a “transformational experience” at Harvard University during the fellowship year.
The program was established, and is still intended, for mid-career professionals educationally disadvantaged by past laws and resource allocations in South Africa. Today, HSA FP seeks to expand its reach to institutions and organizations across South Africa in a continued effort to draw the broadest possible range of candidates for the program.
- The fellowship provides for payment of all tuition for the full period of enrolment at Harvard.
- The fellowship also funds round-trip airfare between the fellow’s city of residence and Boston.
- A monthly stipend is provided to fellows, except those enrolled in the Executive Education Programs, to cover the cost of housing and other living expenses. Housing is usually in university graduate dormitories.
- The program is open to all South Africans who qualify.
- Priority will be extended to mid-career applicants from historically marginalized or underrepresented groups, including applicants from rural areas outside urban centres.
- Fellows typically range from 30- to 45-years-old.
How to Apply
Documents to be uploaded include:
- Curriculum vitae
- Writing samples
- Letters of Recommendation
Complete the application on Qualtrics and upload required documents as prompted. Applicants must register to access the application: HSAFP 2022 Application Registration
For more information, visit Harvard South Africa Fellowship.