Innovation: Africa (IA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa. We use solar energy to pump clean water and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines.
- Job Title: Hard-Working, Dedicated Problem-Solver Technical Engineering Manager
- Duty Station: Mbale, Uganda
- Position(s): 200 Fresher Job Opportunities
- Vacancy Type: Permanent/Temporary.
- Organization: Innovation: Africa (IA)
- Reports to: Program Manager in Uganda and Country Director in Israel
Jubilee Insurance Job Advert
We are seeking a highly trained and qualified professional to join our Uganda team as a Technical Engineering Manager based in Mbale, requiring immediate relocation. The Manager is responsible for providing critical support to the Program Manager and the team of engineers, including technical field supervision of staff and contractors, ensuring strict compliance with IA’s community-based sustainability model and the technical requirements of our community-owned solar water pumping systems and solar electrification projects.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Program Manager to support with management of local team and contractors, and all field and community activities
- Provide technical supervision and support to IA’s team of engineers to ensure project operations comply with the policies and regulations of iA standards
- Assist with managing the development and execution of project deliverables, project planning, budgeting, action plans and monitoring processes
- Responsible for submitting weekly activity reports and regular financial reports the Country Director in Israel
- Developing weekly, monthly and quarterly project implementation work plans and ensuring effective implementation and monitoring of all activities
- Oversee and manage the implementation of IA’s community-based sustainability model, including facilitating frequent community meetings with the beneficiary communities, conduct community trainings and sensitization
- Help to motivate the project team and monitor project activities and project expenditure and coordinate work with contractors in the project
- Oversee project design and planning of new IA projects and engage in negotiations with contractors where needed
- Assist in the management in the operations of the office such as liaising with suppliers, getting quotations, scanning, printing, insurance for vehicles, collecting and sending items through courier service, filling forms, submitting reports etc.
- Ensure close collaboration and coordination with cooperating partners and local contractors to guarantee smooth implementation of activities and achievement of results
- Perform monitoring and evaluation of existing projects, work with communities to ensure project’s sustainability
- Assist in organizing community trainings in coordination with the water development office in Mbale
- Assist in responding to queries from the communities and forwarding the information to the responsible contractors and in-house engineers
- Support Program Manager to establish and manage relationships and communication with local, national, and international stakeholders
- Fully coordinate and participate in visits from the international team, donors and guests
- Develop and maintain relationships with local government and local partner NGO’s
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in water or civil engineering, with experience managing construction sites
- A second degree and long-term proven experience working with solar water pumping systems will be considered an advantage.
- Experience supervising borehole drilling and solar pump installations
- Experience working in WASH programs – advantage
- At least five years of experience in a relevant field of engineering and equal experience managing teams and supporting communities in a field-based position.
- A strong Technical Engineering Manager has the ability to work closely and in tandem with the Program Manager, anticipating and initiating places where the team requires assistance, but always under the guidance of the lead manager.
- Ability to create and monitor the team’s weekly work plans, managing all reporting processes required from the team and contractors and ensuring that it is completed in a timely and efficient manner, enabling completion of 40+ solar and water projects in accordance with each project’s Program of Work.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills and a proven commitment to serve vulnerable communities.
- The ideal candidate is extremely organized, detail oriented, results-driven, and possesses a proven passion for working with rural communities.
- Professional experience working in the field of community development with vulnerable rural communities and exhibit detail orientation and problem-solving skills.
- Outstanding skills and experience in designing water networks through PLANET – mandatory
- Technologically oriented with excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and Microsoft Office software
- Driver’s licence and off-road driving experience
- Ability to commit to flexible working hours, including some weekends
- High proficiency in English; both writing and speaking
- Ability to relocate to Mbale in Uganda
- Able to speak Swahili – advantage
As an international organization, our team works in New York, Israel, and Africa, and is constantly on the move. To maintain close contact despite our travel schedules, we regularly use technology solutions, such as Slack and Zoom. The ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast-paced environment and is comfortable working with colleagues in different time zones and continents.
How to Apply to Innovation: Africa Vacancy:
Please send your cover letter and CV as a single PDF attachment to [email protected]
Please make the file name your full name, and please specify which job position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
All candidates should send their updated CVs and application letters via Email to: [email protected]
Tel: +256754900901/ +256784701294 for any inquiries