Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a global health non-profit that makes foundational changes to health systems to protect people from diseases and improve their health. MSH collaborates with local partners, from the Ministry to the community, to strengthen and complement existing health systems.
- Job Title: Accountant
- Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
- Applications Closing Date: Ongoing
- Vacancy Type: Permanent/Temporary.
- Organization: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Management Sciences for Health Job Advert
The accountant is primarily responsible for, but is not limited to, payment review for activities and operations, uploading payments into the system (s), petty cash handling, ensure proper record keeping, activity advance reconciliation, and supporting the Senior Accountant in VAT reporting.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Processing vendor payments and documentation – 60%
- Ensures that funds expended in the country is done in accordance with “Generally Accepted Accounting Principles”, MSH policy, donor regulations and requirements, Ugandan law, standard operating procedures, and best business practices.
- Prepare and process all Payment Vouchers, General Journals and Deposit Vouchers ensuring that the documents are legal and authentic and that all relevant and adequate support documentation is attached. Ensure that every financial transaction is properly approved by a budget-holder signatory, is properly documented, files are complete and demonstrates evidence of compliance with MSH policy, donor regulations, Ugandan law, and standard operating procedures.
- Ensure that transfers to Mobile Money service providers are done in a timely manner, and that MM payments are done in an efficient, timely manner.
- Conduct & document spot checks for trainings.
- Receive, review and liquidate petty cash promptly in accordance with MSH policies.
- Liaise with technical teams and compile project funds projection (s) for each month.
- Ensures that all payments for purchases of goods and services are made according to MSH regulations, and that actions are governed by the highest standards of personal and business conduct as stipulated in the Procurement Policy Guidelines and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Contribute to maintaining teamwork, discipline sound work relationships and productivity.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time-to-time.
Financial Reporting – 30%
- Record all financial transactions into the approved MSH field expense accounting system (currently QuickBooks).
- Upload monthly reports for the review of the Accounting Manager each month.
- Prepare bank reconciliation.
- Monitor staff advances and ensures that all advances are cleared / collected on time. Prepare advance analysis as required.
- Ensure that financial documents are properly filed and kept safely at all times. Review payment requests and vendor invoices & make prompt payments and reconcile vendor accounts per request.
Compliance with donor and statutory requirements – 10%
- Process withholding tax payments & prepare withholding tax certificates for all appropriate payments and distribute these accordingly.
- Prepare documentation required for quarterly and annual VAT claims and reports.
- Ensure that all costs and travels have adequate prior authorization and approval prior to payment remittance. Follow up all discrepancies identified.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Partial professional qualification in ACCA or CPA.
- Three years of hands-on experience in accounting.
- Capacity to deal with multitasks and be able to adhere to tight deadlines in a busy environment, and excellent time management skills;
- A strong accounting experience is an added advantage;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English.
- Assess, analyse and manage risk using appropriate MSH Standard Operating Policies & procedures & Donor policies, professional judgment and scepticism for effective business management.
- Identify the appropriate content and communicate clearly and objectively to the intended audience, i.e Staff and external parties as governed by professional standards.
- Identify areas of improvement in businesses processes and system(s), and controls to assist in the design and use of systems for efficient and effective operations.
How to Apply to Management Sciences for Health Vacancy:
All candidates who wish to join Management Sciences for Health (MSH) in this capacity should apply online at the link below.
All candidates should send their updated CVs and application letters via Email to: [email protected]
Tel: +256754900901/ +256784701294 for any inquiries