Nominations are open for the UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award 2022. Every year, UNHCR searches for a person or an organisation with exceptional dedication and commitment in supporting people who are refugees, internally displaced or stateless. That person or group wins the UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award.
- Position(s): Several
- Applications closing Date: February 20, 2022
- Vacancy Type: Permanent/Temporary.
- Application Type: Award
- Company Name: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- The laureate or the winning organisation receives $150,000 to invest in their humanitarian work.
- Additionally, four regional winners from each global region outside of the laureate’s region are selected and honoured with a certificate and a local event.
- Any individual, group of people or organization that has displayed extraordinary humanitarian work on behalf of refugees, displaced or stateless peoples is eligible to be nominated.
- Former and current UNHCR staff, including United Nations Volunteers (UNVs) working for UNHCR offices, are ineligible.
- Anyone may submit a candidate for the Nansen Refugee Award. They welcome the nomination of any deserving individual, group or organization. Finalists from the previous year are still eligible.
- Self-nominations are strongly discouraged.
Every Nansen Refugee Award laureate and regional winners spend an extraordinary amount of time and effort to help the forcibly displaced:
- The nominee’s work goes beyond the call of duty and outside of normal activities;
- The nominee’s work demonstrates courage – they might at times face a personal risk for his/her/their work;
- The nominee’s work has a direct positive impact on the lives of forcibly displaced or stateless people;
- The work is connected to a major displacement issue or situation.